Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Portfolio Competition 2021

Our portfolio competition is a competition that is supposed to show our versatility as a photographer while if possible having a theme that runs through the images.  One of the other requirements is that these photos are supposed to have been taken within the last 12 months.  

 I did not actually see that there was a sort of geometric theme running through these images until after I had finished them and turned them in.  


  I spent an afternoon photographing these images on our coffee table in the living room  Not any special lighting, just using light from our window and a reflector. I wanted to do something abstract with these images.  Each piece is a macro image of the inside of a Paua shell.
  A dear friend of mine is a quilter and after spending some time looking at her quilts, I was inspired to use these images in a quilt design.  I love the bright colours and textures that can be found when you look closely at these shells.


I love the expression that can be captured with photography.  I spent about ten minutes talking to my model asking her questions and waiting for her responses. She has such a lovely expressive face. My intention was to just use a single image but realized as I lined up these faces together in my editing program that there was much more to her than just one expression.  It was such a fun experience and I hope to do more of these expression experiments in the future.

This image was quite a challenge for me.  I set up for it three times and then took it all down unable to
"make it work".  Then, as I was running out of time, I walked out to our mandarin tree and picked a mandarin and started peeling it.  I was looking at the translucent quality of each segment of the fruit.
 I decided I was going to make it work this time and rushed out to my garage, set all of these pieces into place and snapped the image. 

 I was pleased to receive the trophy for the best digital set for these images.
Feel free to click on each image to enlarge them.